Connect with us

Canada

Prof Who Suggested Israel Responsible For 9/11, ISIS Back Teaching

Published

on

The publicly-funded University of Lethbridge suspended professor Anthony Hall after he suggested that Israel was responsible for Islamic terrorism like 9/11 and ISIS. But the school has now reinstated him.

In an article for his website, Hall says “the real culprits behind the 9/11 attacks were not a group of Islamic jihadists acting alone out of no other motivation than religious zealotry.” He added, “rather, the dominant group directing the 9/11 false flag event was composed primarily of Israel First neoconservatives who sought to demonize Muslims.”

The article is called “9/11 And The Zionist Question,” a question which Hall notes is “a contemporary extension of what Karl Marx and others used to refer to frequently in European literature as the Jewish Question.” It is a bit odd that Hall leaves out the most memorable promulgator of the Jewish Question, Adolf Hitler.

Hall repeatedly uses the term “Islamophobia” to cast genuine concern and criticism of Islamic extremists as irrational backlash against a marginalized group. What’s really curious, though, is that just a few months before the professor’s nearly 17,000-word screed, the UK government official who popularized the term “Islamophobia” distanced himself from it, stating, “for a long time, I too thought that Europe’s Muslims would become like previous waves of migrants, gradually abandoning their ancestral ways, wearing their religious and cultural baggage lightly, and gradually blending into Britain’s diverse identity landscape.”

“I should have known better,” the UK official concluded. 

Joshua Blakeney, a graduate student of Hall’s, received a $7,714 scholarship essentially to study 9/11 conspiracy theories. Apparently, the “ongoing financial commitment of the Province of Alberta” made this possible.

The University of Lethbridge paid Hall during at least part of his suspension and reinstated him entirely just last week. The school said it would address the professor’s activities “in the context of the faculty handbook,” but did not explain how. Campus Unmasked asked the school what it believed constituted academic freedom, as well as some questions regarding Hall’s tenure, but the university did not elaborate, citing legal implications.

But what about scholarly implications of reinstating the professor? Taxpayers are waking up to the fact that they are funding indoctrination mills and colleges’ opportunities to operate in the shadows are becoming slimmer and slimmer.

Canada

Canadian Student Journos NOT HAPPY With Doug Ford

Published

on

One of the biggest problems we have here on American campuses is that students often have to chip in to support groups about which they couldn’t care less. What usually happens then is the university or student government gets a pot worth six or even seven figures and they distribute those funds to various student groups. But that money often goes overwhelmingly to funding left-wing organizations, probably partly due to most student activists being left-wing and partly due to a biased student government or college administration.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford’s new policy looked to fix that by only requiring students to pay fees for stuff pertaining to academics, health, counseling, recreation, and athletics, with individual colleges — so not the government — individual colleges getting to decide if students cover the other fees. But the Canadian University Press, a nonprofit owned by dozens of Canadian student newspapers, was less than thrilled, saying:

“Most of our member papers rely on student fees to fund their work. Without access to this funding, Ontario student publications will not be able to operate. The jobs they provide to students will be gone.”

The jobs they provide students…I don’t know about you, but at my school, the University of Virginia, we didn’t get paid to do student journalism. Working for the student paper was just like any other extracurricular activity.

Anyway, the Canadian University Press continues, saying student journalists’ “important role of holding governing bodies, whether student unions or university administrations, to account will go unfulfilled.” The group also calls Ford’s policy a direct assault on freedom of the press and free speech.

OK so first of all, how can students expect you to provide truthful coverage of student government or administrators when it’s the student government that decides how much funding you get and the administrators that sometimes have to give their stamp of approval? Seems like a conflict of interest to me. You can still publish stuff if you’re not getting paid, so this isn’t an infringement on your free speech, and freedom of the press also doesn’t entitle you to other students’ money, sorry.

Continue Reading

Canada

Free Speech Policy Hits Ontario Campuses

Published

on

Ontario Premier Doug Ford ordered universities to post a free speech policy by Jan. 1, reported the Toronto Sun. The two big points here are that the policies must ban obstruction or interference “with the freedom of others to express their views” and contain a provision stipulating that “speech that violates the law is not allowed.”

Ford is requiring that universities in Ontario submit an annual report each September and there’s this other little note saying that if univers–ities don’t meet government requirements on free speech or don’t follow the policies they put in place, “the ministry may respond with reductions to their operating grant funding, proportional to the severity of non-compliance.”

Because you have to remember, who funds these public institutions? The government. And where does the government get its money? That’s right, tax-paying citizens. And if those citizens are held to a certain standard, why should it be any different for the ivory towers they fund?

Anyways, as you might expect, some Canadian professors flocked to Twitter with their woke takes on the policy. Acadia University lecturer Jeffrey Sachs screen shotted a passage from a Toronto Sun op-ed, which claims that students report self-censoring and that high security fees dissuade controversial speakers from coming and then goes on to slam colleges for allowing “hate to take root on campus” via the anti-Israel Boycott, Divest, Sanction movement. Jeffrey, who probably thinks himself very clever, tweeted “We must defend free speech and inquiry on campus, and also by the way we must prevent students from supporting controversial policies.”

University of New Brunswick professor Matthew Sears chimed in with “The lack of self-awareness is staggering, if not surprising.”

Now, of course, students should be allowed criticize Israel. But unlike pro-Israel students, anti-Israel students are often found physically preventing opponents from holding an event by drowning them out or occupying the stage.

Continue Reading

Canada

It’s Time To Expose The Radical Left With Campus Unmasked

Published

on

Take a look around at the institutions in your life. It seems like from government to Silicon Valley, from star-studded Hollywood to the media on your every device, there’s a slow but steady push for equality of outcome over equality of opportunity, a prioritization of feelings over facts, and a general humorlessness from those telling us what to think instead of how to think.

But what started this creeping cultural Marxism? What do most of the thought leaders behind these institutions have in common? If you answered university, you’ve done your homework.

The ivory tower has long been a place of left-wing bias. But the 12-to-1 left-wing to right-wing professor ratio hasn’t just spawned a lopsided curriculum. It’s instead created an intolerance for opposing points of view that manifests in lies, censorship and at its most extreme, violence. Attitudes and systems cultivated in academia have a long history of seeping into the world outside. But this intolerance seems a bit more insidious than the ingenious strides in STEM and literature of years past. Do we dare let the wound fester and spread?

Not on my watch.

It’s time to shine a light on the cowardly tactics of those who can’t win wars with words. It’s time to expose the assassins of truth who brand Israel responsible for ISIS and all frat boys as rapists. It’s time to bring justice to the Antifa hordes terrorizing those who dare commit wrongthink. It’s time. For a Campus Unmasked.

Continue Reading

Trending

%d bloggers like this: